Extension Cord Fire in Plainfield?
In a report published by The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), between 2014 and 2018:
- Electrical distribution or lighting equipment, such as wiring, lighting, cords, and plugs, was involved in an estimated average of roughly 34,000 (10 percent) reported home structure fires per year.
- These incidents caused an average of 470 civilian deaths, 1,100 civilian injuries, and $1.4 billion in direct property damage annually.
SERVPRO® of Plainfield/Naperville South responds to fire damage emergencies in the Plainfield area throughout the year and has seen the damage an electrical fire can do to a structure. Here are some safety tips for using electrical cords from the NFPA:
- Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.
- Only use one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time.
- Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under carpets. Extension cords are intended for temporary use. Have a qualified electrician add more receptacle outlets so you don’t have to use extension cords.
- Major appliances (refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used.
Call Us Today!
SERVPRO® of Plainfield/Naperville South has a team of highly trained technicians on-call to assist you 24 hours a day. Call us today at 630-369-9710. We’ll restore your fire damage in Plainfield, “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Plainfield/Naperville South is Independently Owned and Operated.