Space Heater Fire in Shorewood?
It gets cold in Shorewood, and many residents use space heaters during the winter. SERVPRO® of Plainfield/Naperville South offers these heating safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater
- Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters
- Never use your oven to heat your home
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters, or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel-burning space heaters
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month
When your Plainfield home or business needs fire damage restoration services, SERVPRO® of Plainfield/Naperville South has a team of highly trained technicians ready to assist you. Call us today at 630-369-9710.
Franchises are Independently Owned and Operated.